Thursday, March 8, 2012

Baby Bumps and Birthing Decisions


Copyright: Britta Marie Photography
We are officially halfway through our pregnancy, which is hard to believe, since both Alex and I feel as though we are still getting over the initial surprise of when the stick showed a positive sign. 

Erik Sigfrid is truly an active baby, moving and making sure that I know that he is in there. It is hard these days to forget about him as he kicks me, as I transition to (gasp!) maternity clothes and when I glance at my reflection in the mirror and am continually surprised at my changing body. On a recent trip to Chicago, Alex's talented cousin Britta Marie took some shots, which upon viewing, definately proves that this baby is getting bigger!

Last week was a big one for us, as we made the transition from our doctor at Swedish Medical to be under the care of Swedish Midwives in Ballard. Alex and I met with one of the five midwives in the Birthing Center there, and could not be more convinced of our decision to go this route over a traditional hospital birth. She met with us for over an hour, twenty minutes of it as she consoled a four-week-old baby of another patient who was having some tests done. She said that she stopped counting how many babies she had delivered five years ago, as the number was over 2,000. Like many couples, the documentary “The Business of Being Born” was especially informative to us, although I don’t think that I will ever get over the fact that Ricki Lake helped us decide how we wanted to have our baby! Getting to hear the baby’s heartbeat in the appointment will always go down in my books as one of the most beautiful sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment