Monday, March 26, 2012

17 Weeks and Counting...

Yesterday marked 23 weeks into the pregnancy. My book states that little Erik has lots of room in the uterus right now, even if it feels to me like there is no way that I can get any larger. Friends and family warn me that I am heading into a season of feeling large and uncomfortable 24/7, and I am taking advantage of the energy and mobility I have now by continuing to run and do Zumba. Meanwhile, little Erik feels like he is constantly doing Zumba moves (Alex insists it is karate moves) throughout the day.

I had my first "stranger touch" in line at the grocery store by a woman who insisted on telling me I was carrying too high for it to be a boy while placing both of her hands squarely on my midsection. Fortunately, my sister was with me so that we could laugh at the hilarity of it while I assured the woman that if she had seen the ultrasound pictures, she would be certain it's not a girl. This experience made true in my mind what is written on my new favorite blog introduced to me by my friend Anna, about what not to say to a pregnant woman (warning-there is some vulgarity here). Strangers aside, some have been hesitant to reach out and touch the belly. I'll put it out there-if you would normally hug me, feel free to extend that love to baby Erik. Most who know me know that I don't have personal space issues, and it's great to connect physically with people who have invested emotionally in our baby's life already. Keep in mind that not every expectant mom shares this attitude, so it is always okay to ask. As for the stranger touches and advice I will surely get throughout this pregnancy and motherhood, here's hoping I always have my sister with me to interfere for me and/or laugh with me about it later.

Alex and I completed something that has been hovering over us-working on our list of things to get for the baby. Going from a squeaky toy and leash to decisions about diapers, strollers, carseats and cribs is a HUGE transition. Whoever says being a pet owner is like being a parent, I am curious where the whole part where we get to leave our dogs contentedly locked up in their kennel for 12 hours plays into parenthood. Mr. Safety, I mean Alex, put on his research hat and read up in Consumer Reports and we are feeling one step closer to being ready for baby. People keep saying we have lots of time, although 17 weeks seems pretty short to me, especially given the fact that all we own are two stuffed animals and a lot of camoflouge clothing. However, after one day of sewing with my talented mom, she was able to complete two crib sheets, a dust ruffle and a quilt!

We are so thankful for everyone's wisdom, understanding and willingness to share their own life experiences' with us (like the cashier who told us that she pushed out her 12 pound, 5 ounce baby in 4 pushes in less than 20 minutes). We are so thankful to have been in Portland for the weekend to spend it with FarFar and Grandma Joan celebrating the 30 years they have shared together while we gleaned all the advice we could get from them about what makes good parents and have a lifelong romance.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Marie!! I am so excited for you and Alex!! This is such wonderful time in your life. Cherish every moment and be thankful for those weirdo strangers touches!! they are just excited for you too!!!

    ♥ Ashley

    http://atparsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete