Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Blessing of Grandparents


Last weekend I had the pleasure of hanging with my mom to buy fabrics and dream up the guest room. She is a wonderful person to share this part of my life with, as she tends to be on the more rational, low-stress, "people have been having babies for centuries" spectrum that many do not necessarily adhere to (tip: avoid reading too much when you're pregnant-everything is harmful!). A couple weeks ago, my sister called my mom on my behalf asking about stretch marks, as my literature had indicated that it was purely genetics that contributed to this. My mom had said that hers weren't too bad, but that she wasn't sure. Sarah and I were relieved that we may not be plagued with this condition that so many experience. While up at my parent's farm this past weekend, my mom approached me in the kitchen, "Marie, you had asked me about stretch marks, and I just noticed these this morning that I guess I didn't know I had." She proceeded to point out to Alex and I purplish-blue lines along her waistline. I thought they didn't look too bad compared to what I had seen online (again, I stress, do not go online while pregnant!). It only took a couple of minutes before she started laughing "I drew these on with my eyeliner this morning to freak you out!" I love my mom's silliness and how well she knows me.

She will be called MorMor, which is Norwegian for mother's mother. Given that I called both my grandparents Branka and Branga until I was 5, hopefully MorMor will be a little easier to say for the little one J. I'd like to thank my mom for the following numbers she pulled last weekend:


Fabrics purchased for the nursery
                -4 free-throws to get a percentage off at Ace Hardware

                -2.5 hours of fabric shopping

                -7 stores for various errands

                -5 pattern books for crib bedding

                -30 + bolts of fabric
A tractor print purchased from Etsy
                -1 bag of Reese's peanut butter cups

                -2 free quarts of paint to sample in the nursery


My mom not only gave up an entire Saturday to follow my whims and vision for the nursery, but she is custom-making all of the bedding this weekend with me. Finally, a good reason for all this Seattle rain!
 
Baby Erik Sigfrid is not only blessed with Alex's and my parent's as grandparents, but already has adoptive grandparents. Bob and Marilee Erickson, or Grandpa Bob and Grandma Marilee have agreed to help us in our endeavor to raise a healthy, wise and balanced son. I am confident that with their wisdom and guidance, Erik will grow to know all about various types of birds and wildlife, as well as auto maintenance and how to be a loving, responsible man. Alex and I are so grateful for Bob and Marilee's role in our lives since our marriage and for their support as we transition to this next stage. They are not just a blessing to us, but are already to their unborn grandson.




1 comment:

  1. Marie, such good advice to not go online or read or for that matter listen to random people in public. They tend to universalize their experience and always in the worst possible way.
    So excited for you guess and grateful that you have a supportive community of "grandparents" around you. They are lucky to have you and Erik is lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete