Sunday, February 26, 2012

Carrying on the Legacy

Being the fourth in a line of Sigfrid Carlsons, shortly after hearing that we were having a baby boy, I excitedly shared with Marie that for the first time there would be four "Sigs" alive at the same time. My dad, who was travelling to Chicago that day to be with my grandfather in the ICU was going to share the news that another Sigfrid would be entering the world this year.

Sadly, after two weeks in the ICU, my Farfar Rolland Sigfrid Carlson passed away. My grandfather was a man whom I admired, loved deeply, and had great gratitude.  I am excited to see and encourage the growth of the following qualities that my grandfather possessed in our own son, Erik Sigfrid:

Supporting family in all the seasons of life.
Caring for the less fortunate.
Leading with your head, Loving with your heart.
Understanding and appreciating the difference between a "good job" and a "Rollie job".
An affinity for clean cars and loud mufflers.
Using your abilities and assets to serve the Lord.
Staying connected to your Swedish heritage.
Driving FAST.

While we mourn the loss of my grandfather, we feel that he will never really be gone from our lives. On a daily basis all of the members of the Carlson clan have moments where we recall "Farfar-isms" of years past ("It's not how much you earn, it's how much you don't spend!"), or ask ourselves, "What would Rollie do?".  We are grateful for our memories of him and his larger-than-life personality. As we travel out to Chicago this week to be with family and celebrate my grandfather's life,  I remember what my dad said on the day Farfar passed away, "Well...., we'll be back up to three Sigfrids in just a few months." 

No comments:

Post a Comment