Sunday, February 26, 2012

He's a Boy!

Early last Wednesday, Alex and I headed to Swedish Hospital to see our baby for the first time. Nurse and Aunt-to-be Gretchen (Alex's little sister) met us there for the appointment. What a joy to have her join us. Laying on the table with two of my favorite people in the room, I was introduced face to face (literally!) to one of my new favorite people, who I will not get to meet for another 20 weeks or so.

Seeing the baby's movements as it scratched its' head, touched its toes and sucked in amniotic fluid was a wonder that no one can prepare you for. Our ultrasound technician had difficulty getting a picture of the baby's spine, exclaiming that our baby is "a little obstinate and very active." Alex and I stole a glance at one another, knowing full well that any child of ours would possess these attributes. Alex and I had shared with the Tech that we preferred to not know the gender during the appointment when I had a full bladder and covered in gel with my belly exposed. Gretchen, however, having to leave for class, got a sneak peek before the rest of the world at her niece or nephew. Like a wonderful nurse-to-be educated in HIPAA and confidentiality, she left the appointment with the news to herself :)

Alex and I left the appointment already elated that we had an active, healthy baby. Grabbing breakfast and some hot drinks, we ventured our way to a dock on Lake Washington where we have had several dates in the past. Setting up a picnic blanket, we could not contain our excitement any longer, and opened up the envelope in which the Tech had creatively written:


 Thinking, along with 99% of our family and friends, that it was a girl, Alex and I were especially surprised and excited. I had a country song cued up on my iPhone that Alex had listened to many, many times over the last few years as he though about what it would be like to have a little guy in Carhartt's to teach about being a chicken farmer, the importance of regular oil changes and loving and protecting all the women in our lives. It is a sweet song, which can be found here.We called Dave, our baby boy's Farfar (Swedish for father's father). Dave, in his wonderful wisdom, shared with Alex the great responsibility he was undertaking.

This week has been one full of joys, sorrows, hope and loss. Through it all, our Baby Boy has made his presence known with lots of little kicks and movement. In times of stress and sadness, the little flurries in my stomach are a gentle kick of a reminder of God's continuous work and promise to be faithful to all generations. We praise God for our Baby Boy and the many wonderful people out there who have already bestowed so much love on him!




No comments:

Post a Comment