Friday, August 31, 2012

Oh the Faces I Know!

Sig has many faces. As I am sure that I do, although I do not think that I have spent as much time staring into mine as I have found myself doing with him over these past seven weeks. I lose track of time, and have become one of those awkward moms who cannot maintain eye contact during a conversation, because apparently it is more important for me to look at my sleeping baby than practice decent social skills.

The face that warms my heart is the one that is such a vivid and exact replica of his dad. Alex says he does not see it the way everyone else does, but also reminds me that he knows my face better than his own because he does not look in the mirror for hours a day. I am learning to love Sig's face that doesn't remotely resemble mine. I remember when Alex and I were first dating and I would try to memorize each feature on his face, tracing his eyebrows and freckle marks with my fingers while he slept. Now I see my husband in my son's face, the frustration when Sig gets hungry, the uncertainty in his forehead when he doesn't understand something, the smile that starts on one corner of his mouth, the agitated eyes when he is tired and the pensive wonder that makes him seem like he is in another world. Funny to think that God gave me these two faces, so different from my own, yet more familiar to kiss and love my whole life. The face on this momma most days is contentment :)

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing isn't it.... Sig looks just like baby Alex, all over again. Except, I think he has your beautiful eyes Marie. I love the little man faces and the plaid shirt.

    ReplyDelete