Thursday, October 18, 2012

Taking Time

I cannot believe that it has been a month since I last sat down to write my thoughts on motherhood and the musings it brings. We have returned from a 10 day trip to the Midwest where Sig got to add four more states to his "passport" and have gotten back to a sense of routine. I have heard so many parents say they do not have the time to do things like write a blog, read about what developmental stage their child should be at or be totally caught up on the latest news. That is not true. I have the time, I just choose to spend it tickling my son's face with my hair, saying "poopy poodle pants" over and over again, doing push-ups next to Sig while he struggles on his stomach attempting to build up his neck muscles and generally spending lots of time in my sweats carrying my son around singing and dancing. I have the time to do other things, they just don't seem that important.

I take the time each night to write down one thing about the day that I would like to tell my son about when he gets older. A highlight from this last month included watching him discover his hands, staring at them in front of his face while he goes cross-eyed and shoving them so far down his throat that he gags. I delight in getting to know his routine (and being able to plan around it!). He is in my arms now for his evening doze fest before he wakes up for some couch time. Last night, Alex and I sat among piles of laundry reading books that Sig couldn't understand while we admired the pictures and he stared up at our faces. We look forward to the day when this will be more of an interactive activity, but in the meantime Alex is practicing all of his truck noises and accents. In one book, he was a dump-truck who started out as a British cowboy and ended as a husky Australian.

I am thankful for fall. As Alex and I took him for his first run along Alki Beach, I spoke with him about all the trees, colors and sounds. The next time autumn comes around, he will get to experience it in a whole new way, in a whole new routine, and I will make sure that I have the time to spend it with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment