Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Settling in with Sig


People keep asking how things are going for us, with a concern specifically for our sleep and sanity. To be honest, we have enjoyed two weeks of the most relaxed and special time of our entire relationship. Sig has adjusted to us, and us to him. In his sweetness, he wakes up once a night with a click of his tongue, never a cry. Alex and I both say how glad we are for the 4am feeding, because we both wake up missing him.

We are loving our new normal, which involves a little less sleep, a lot more laundry, a little more mess and a lot more love. We are so thankful  for the many visitors whose time and kindness has already been a blessing in his 11 day life. We have spent many hours figuring out breastfeeding, lounging in the backyard, and visiting with friends and family. He has already experienced many firsts:

-outings to Target, IKEA, Starbucks and Home Depot
-first bath
-first home visit from Grandma Joan  (who Alex and I refer to as G-Ma J) and Great-grandma Polly
-first visit to the farm
-first pediatrician visit-he is healthy and perfect!
-first birthday party to celebrate his one week of life, and GrandBob's 2,704th and Uncle John's 1,612th weeks of life
-first visit to church-my mom says he's Pentecostal 'cause he raised his arms during the doxology :)
-first live lullaby by MorMor

As I write this, we are on our way to Portland for his first of many, many trips to see grandparents. Sig is a trooper, sleeping in his carseat while Kaj and Khloe stare at him from the trunk. Alex points out all of the trucks for him as we head down I-5 and listen to country music, so that he is well-versed in both.

Sig is most active between the hours of 10pm and 1am, and we have dubbed him "Mr. Late Night." Who would have thought that my most precious moment of the last couple weeks would occur at 12:30am. I held an alert Siggy in my lap on our bed while Alex read Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You See?, and I laid my head on Alex's shoulder and cried from beginning to end. I feel so full, not the kind of heartburn-inducing-pregnancy full, but the bursting with love for my husband, my son, and the God who has blessed me with both.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written :) So happy for the fullness of joy!

    ReplyDelete