Sunday, July 22, 2012

Scenes from a Pregnancy

As we go from counting down the weeks to counting down the days, I am reminiscent of this journey and the unique experiences it has brought. I am often asked "what is it like to feel pregnant?" I wish I was one of those women who could say that it is like having a glow of life or whatever inside you, but if I am honest, it is awkward and the opposite of glamorous.

Starbucks Showdown
After placing an order for one of many caffeine-free beverages I have had since November, I headed straight for a room I have become very familiar with-the restroom. Unfortunately, another woman had the same destination, and was also pregnant. In addition to the awkward "you-go-first" dance, we very clearly sized one another up to see who was further along, and therefore more deserving of the facility. I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation, and thinking of it like a cowboy showdown at high noon. I let her go first, although I'm sure I would have one the how-far-along battle if it came down to it.

The Crumb Catcher
Getting used to what I call my "Homer Simpson" belly has definitely been an adjustment. I have tried to leave the house more than once with toothpaste on my belly, due to not leaning over far enough when brushing my teeth. I am already excited about the day when I can scoot up next to the table, rather than placing a napkin strategically bridged between my belly and eating surface.

Mattress Maneuvering
It was sometime in my second trimester when a soft, cushy pillow-top bed stopped being a place of comfort and began being a little torturous for every nerve in my spine. Fortunately, I live with a man who collects camping gear to equip a large herd, and for several weeks slept very comfortably on top of sleeping bags on the floor at his feet. One genius morning, I suggested to Alex that we flip our mattress to accommodate for my changing needs. Alex looked at me, looked at the mattress, looked at the fabric and declared that it was not a good idea, as the back side if the mattress clearly wasn't designed for sleeping on. I looked at him, looked at my belly, looked at my nest on the floor, and declared that his 6-month pregnant wife was not designed for sleeping on the floor, and I couldn't care less about the mattress fabric.

Stroller Set-UpGetting ready for a baby is all about logistics. We have spent hours organizing, planning, procuring, Craigslisting and setting things up for the little guy. We know that the chaos is yet to come, and this time of preparation is just helping us get ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment